- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 7-8 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a medium skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, pumpkin and cream. Add the hot sauce, cinnamon and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sage.
Toss the pasta with the sauce and pass the parmigiano-reggiano around the table.