- 1 pound penne or gemelli whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
Heat a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Liberally salt the water, add pasta and cook to al dente. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water, a ladleful.
In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Grate garlic into the pan and add crushed red pepper flakes and onion and cook for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, then the tomatoes, then season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
Drain pasta and combine with pasta water, sauce and cheese and toss for 1 minute, then add arugula and toss to wilt, a minute more.