- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound rigatoni with lines
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at table
- 1/3 pound salami, Genoa, sopressata, hot or sweet, or a mix, chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet for broccoli rabe and one large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Salt the water liberally.
Simmer broccoli rabe in water for 10-12 minutes, then drain. Return the skillet to medium heat with EVOO, about four turns of the pan (eyeball it). Add garlic and red pepper to the EVOO and gently cook a couple of minutes, then add broccoli rabe and cook for 5 minutes more.
While the broccoli rabe cooks, drop in the rigatoni and cook to al dente. Just before draining, reserve 1 cup of the starchy cooking liquid.
Combine the ricotta, Parmigiano Reggiano and salami in a pasta bowl. Add the starchy liquid and stir. Add the broccoli rabe and pasta and toss for 2 minutes to coat and combine.