- 3 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 onions, grated or finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dry
- 2 cups chicken stock, regular or low sodium stock
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes (28 ounces each), regular or low sodium
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
Pre-heat a large Dutch oven or deep pot over medium-high heat with about 1/4 cup EVOO, 3-4 turns of the pan. Add in the turkey and, using the back of a wooden spoon, break up the meat into small pieces. Cook 5-6 minutes to start the browning process, then grate the carrots, onions and garlic into the pot or finely chop and stir in. Season liberally with salt and pepper, add bay leaf and cook five minutes more; then stir in the stock and the tomatoes. Bring up to a bubble, then drop the heat to low and simmer while you cook another 5-6 minutes more.
Salt water and cook pasta to al dente, with a bite to it. Place the pasta back into the warm pot you cooked it in. Toss pasta with cheese and two cups of the sauce. Serve pasta in shallow bowls with an extra ladle of sauce on top. Serve pasta supper with a green salad.
Cool the leftover sauce and store in refrigerator.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.