- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms and stems, wiped and chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (a generous handful), chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (you can pick them up at the salad bar at your grocery store)
- 4 6-ounce salmon fillets, skin removed
- 2 11-inch by 17-inch sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted but still cold
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
- Your choice of 1 bunch thin asparagus, trimmed, 1 pound green beans, trimmed or 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
Pre-heat the oven to 425˚F.
Heat one tablespoon EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms to hot EVOO. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 6-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and onions softened.
Remove from heat and add to a medium size mixing bowl. Add dill, parsley, lemon juice, mustard, hard boiled eggs, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
While mushrooms cook, heat remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season salmon with salt and pepper and sear for 2 minutes on each side. Remove skillet from the heat.
Lay the puff pastry sheets out on the counter. If the dough is more than about 1/8-inch thick, give it a gentle roll with a flowered rolling pin. Cut each sheet in half across. Onto each rectangle of dough, place a quarter of the mushroom mixture and top with salmon. Starting with the corners, wrap dough over the salmon, creating a package. Trim excess dough and seal with the egg wash using a pastry brush. Leftover dough bits can be used to decorate the top of the packages.
Place the packages sealed-side down on a nonstick cookie sheet and make small slit in the tops to let steam escape. Brush with a light coating of the egg wash to give it a nice sheen. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
While salmon bakes, bring 1 inch of water to a simmer, salt it and add your vegetable of choice and cook until tender, but still bright green.
Serve packets immediately with vegetable of choice alongside.