- One head of green cabbage (3 pounds), cored and finely shredded
- One head of red cabbage (2 pounds), cored and finely shredded
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Put the shredded green and red cabbage in two large colanders and toss each with one teaspoon of salt. Let drain in the sink for two hours. Pat the cabbage dry.
In a small, dry skillet, toast the caraway and celery seeds over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the water and let cool.
In a blender, combine the mayonnaise, cream, sugar, onion, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne and black pepper. Pour in the caraway and celery seeds and their liquid; blend until the dressing is smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the green and red cabbages, carrot, apple and parsley; toss with the dressing. Season with salt.