- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped
- 1 pound pizza dough brought to room temperature for round pie or pop canister for a rectangular pie
- Cornmeal, for sprinkling on pizza pan
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese (a generous handful)
- 1 large clove garlic, grated with Microplane or small side of box grater
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2-2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F. Place rack in oven as low as it goes.
While oven is getting hot, add EVOO to a small skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook pancetta until crisp, 4-5 minutes. Transfer crispy pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve the drippings.
Roll out pizza dough into a large, thin round or rectangular shape. Spread some cornmeal on pizza pan or baking sheet, then transfer crust onto it. Brush the dough with pancetta oil and prick the surface with the tines of a fork in several spots to prevent dough bubbles. Bake for 7 minutes.
While dough bakes, in a bowl, mix the egg yolks with ricotta, Romano cheese, grated garlic and black pepper. Remove the pizza from the oven. Cover the pizza dough with ricotta cheese mixture, then top with provolone cheese.
Bake 10-12 minutes more or until evenly golden on top and crust is crisp. Scatter parsley over cooked pizza, cut into wedges and serve.