- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 rounded teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads (8 ounces)
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 large half sour or garlic pickles, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 pork or beef hot dogs, cut into 1-inch thick slices on an angle
In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar and about three tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes and pickles and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper; adjust seasonings and reserve.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in remaining one tablespoon vegetable oil, about 1 turn of the pan, then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs and serve.