- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups peeled almonds
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- A generous handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts (9 ounces)
- 4 Piquillo peppers or 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives, chopped
- 1 large fresh thyme sprig, leaves only
- 1/3 cup dry sherry (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
Bring stock to a boil. Stir in rice and one tablespoon EVOO. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 18 minutes. Heads up: after 12-13 minutes you will add in other ingredients.
Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
Heat about four tablespoons EVOO, about four turns of the pan, over low heat in a large skillet.
From the rounder, thicker side of the chicken breasts, cut into and across – but not through – the breast meat and butterfly the breast open. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
Pour flour, smoked paprika and salt and pepper onto a dish; beat eggs in a second dish with a splash of water.
Grind nuts, bread crumbs and parsley in food processor to combine. The nuts should have the same consistency as the bread crumbs. Start the processor in pulses, then turn on to combine. Pour nut mixture onto plate. Coat the chicken in flour, egg then nuts.
Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Raise heat under the skillet to medium to medium-high. When EVOO ripples, add the chicken and brown on both sides. Finish in the oven until deeply golden and cooked through.
Five minutes before the rice is done, add the artichokes, peppers and olives and stir to combine. Cook five minutes more, turn off heat, fluff with a fork and stir in thyme leaves.
Remove chicken to a platter and add sherry to the pan; then stir in butter. Spoon pan sauce over chicken and serve with rice alongside.