- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 stick butter, softened
1 fresh bay leaf, available in the produce department at the grocery store
- 4 ribs celery and greens, from the heart, chopped (save time and purchase celery already washed, trimmed and cut into sticks, which makes chopping fast work)
- 1 medium to large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 McIntosh apples, quartered and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
8 cups cubed stuffing mix, such as Pepperidge Farm brand
- 2-3 cups chicken stock, available in paper containers on the soup aisle
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Pre-heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO to skillet, along with four tablespoons butter. When butter melts, add the bay leaf, then add the vegetables as you chop them: celery, onions and apples. Sprinkle the vegetables and apples with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook 5-6 minutes to begin to soften the vegetables and apples, then add parsley and stuffing cubes to the pan and combine. Moisten the stuffing with chicken broth until all of the bread is soft but not wet.
Butter 12 muffin cups (two muffin tins) liberally with remaining butter. Use an ice cream scoop to fill and mound up the stuffing in muffin tins. Remove the bay leaf when you come upon it as you scoop the stuffing. Bake until set and crisp on top, about 10-15 minutes. Remove Stuffin' Muffins to a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.