- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, 1 tablespoon adobo sauce reserved
- 1 bottle Mexican beer, such as Negra Modelo
- One can pure pumpkin puree (15 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- One can black beans (15 ounces), drained
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro (a generous handful), finely chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- Corn tortilla chips (a couple of generous handfuls), lightly crushed (optional)
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, about two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion, garlic and chipotle with one tablespoon reserved adobo sauce and cook, stirring, for five minutes. Add the beer and cook until reduced by half, about three minutes. Stir in the pumpkin, cumin, cinnamon and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the chicken broth and beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the apple, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro and lime juice. In another bowl, combine the sour cream and cranberry sauce.
Serve the soup in bowls and top with the apple salsa, cranberry sour cream and tortilla chips, if desired.