- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (a couple handfuls)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and cook 12-15 minutes until very tender. Drain sweet potatoes in a colander.
Return pan to medium heat. Add butter to the pan. When butter melts, add nuts and toast for two minutes. Add sugar and let it bubble. Add bourbon and cook out alcohol, about one minute. Add orange juice and the cooked sweet potatoes. Smash with a masher and season the sweet potatoes with nutmeg, salt and pepper.