- 4 large Idaho potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/3-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons capers
- A handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup pitted black or green olives
- 4 slices sharp provolone cheese or thinly sliced smoked mozzarella cheese
- 4 crusty rolls, such as sesame Kaiser rolls, split
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 10-12 basil leaves, torn or shredded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Heat oven to 500°F.
Cut 10 wedges from each potato and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle a couple tablespoons of EVOO over the potatoes to coat them lightly, then season with rosemary, salt and pepper and one teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. Throw a couple cloves cracked garlic on the sheet with potatoes. Roast 25 minutes, turning once.
Heat one tablespoon EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, place ground meats in a bowl and add 2-3 cloves grated garlic, grill seasoning, fennel seed, one teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce. Mix the burgers and form four patties. Make patties thinner in the center– burgers bulge as they cook.
Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
Cook burgers 5-6 minutes on each side. While burgers cook, slice cheese, tomatoes, onions and basil and reserve.
In a food processor, combine capers, parsley, anchovy paste, lemon zest and olives. Turn processor on and drizzle in 3-4 tablespoons EVOO in a slow, steady stream until a thick paste forms, making an olive tapenade.
Melt cheese on burgers and toast buns.
Place burgers on buns and top with tomato, basil and red onions. Slather the bun tops with some olive tapenade and serve with oven fries.