- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 zucchini, grated with the large side of a box grater
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces)
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/4 cup store-bought pesto sauce, available in the refrigerated case at the grocery store
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the zucchini, carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes.
Stir in the garbanzo beans, red peppers, tomatoes and stock and place a lid on the pot to bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente, 6-7 minutes.
Turn off heat and stir in pesto sauce. If the stoup gets too thick, stir in a little water. Taste to adjust your seasonings, remove the bay leaf and serve. Yum-o!
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.