- 1 pound applewood smoked bacon
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups corn flakes, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 12 (1 1/2-inch-thick) slices challah bread or soft "Italian" style bread
- Medium or dark amber maple syrup to pass at table
- Mint sprigs and edible flowers, for garnish (optional)
Fancy Fruit Topping (optional):
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 12 large strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
Arrange bacon on slotted broiler pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and place in oven to bake until crisp, 20-22 minutes.
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
In a shallow dish, beat together with a wire whisk: eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. In a second shallow dish combine flakes and nuts.
Add two tablespoons butter to warm skillet. Place a cookie sheet lined with foil (for easy clean up) near the stove. Coat 4-6 slices of bread in egg, depending on the size of your skillet, then coat bread in cornflakes and nuts. Cook slices two minutes on each side and transfer toast to cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining slices and transfer toast to oven. Bake 10 minutes, with already cooking bacon.
While bacon and toast are in oven, combine fruit, sugar and liqueur in a serving bowl and reserve.
Remove toast and bacon from oven. Warm syrup in a small pitcher in microwave for 15 seconds on high. Serve toast and bacon on plates with optional garnish of mint and edible flowers.
Pass syrup and topping at the table.