- 1/4-1/3 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, diced
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 hot peppers, small cherry peppers or pepperoncini peppers
- 1 small jar marinated mushrooms (6-8 ounces), drained
- 1 tin flat fillets of anchovies (2 ounces), drained and chopped
- 12 large green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and coarse black pepper
Steam green beans over pasta water if preparing the Veal Ragu with Campanelle recipe, or simmer beans in one inch of boiling water for three minutes. Drain green beans, run under cold water to cool off and chop them into thirds.
Combine beans with all the remaining salad ingredients in a bowl and toss. Dress salad with vinegar, EVOO, salt and pepper and serve.