- 2 large baking potatoes (about 1 pound each), each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves finely chopped
- Grill seasoning
- 1 2-inch-thick strip steaks, at room temperature
- 1 cup large pitted green olives
- 1/2 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 tablespoon finely chopped, the remainder chopped
- 1 small red onion, half chopped, half thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons pickled hot yellow peppers, chopped
- 3 small vine-ripe tomatoes, 1seeded and finely chopped, 2 cut into wedges
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 can hearts of palm (14 ounces), drained and thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch arugula, chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F. On a baking sheet, toss the potatoes with two tablespoons EVOO. Reserve one teaspoon each of rosemary and thyme and sprinkle the rest over the potatoes. Sprinkle with grill seasoning and roast for 25 minutes.
Season the steaks with grill seasoning. Pre-heat a grill or grill pan. Using a food processor, coarsely chop the olives and yellow onion. Transfer to a bowl. Mix in half the garlic, the reserved rosemary, the finely chopped red bell pepper and 1/3 cup EVOO. Set the olive sauce aside.
In a bowl, combine the remaining red bell pepper, the green bell pepper, chopped red onion, pickled peppers, remaining garlic, finely chopped tomato, reserved thyme, juice of 1/2 lime, red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Set the salsa aside.
Grill the steaks over direct heat for three minutes on each side, then over indirect heat for another five minutes for medium-rare. (Or grill in a grill pan over medium-high heat for three minutes on each side, then roast in a 350°F oven for 8-12 minutes for medium-rare.) Let the meat rest for five minutes.
While the steaks cook, place the tomato wedges in a bowl. Thinly slice the avocado and add to the tomato. Add the sliced red onion and hearts of palm. Add the arugula and toss the salad with the remaining lime juice, the remaining EVOO and salt and pepper to taste.
Top each steak with both sauces and serve with three potato wedges and some salad alongside.