- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and minced or grated
- 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1 1/2-2 pounds flank steak
- 1 bunch scallions
- 16 medium shrimp, peeled, tails removed and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 hearts of Romaine, chopped
- 1/4 pound baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a couple handfuls), chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
Pre-heat a tabletop grill, grill pan, or outdoor grill to high.
Combine garlic, ginger, Tamari, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, grill seasoning, lemon zest and two tablespoons EVOO in a shallow dish. Coat flank steak in mixture and reserve for 10-15 minutes.
Trim ends and one inch of tops off of the scallions. Drizzle EVOO over both the scallions and the shrimp and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Grill scallions and shrimp for two minutes on each side. Remove from grill and reserve.
Place flank steak on grill pan and cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove meat and let juices settle, about five minutes.
Combine spinach, red onion and parsley leaves on a large platter or individual plates. Cut reserved scallions into 1-inch pieces. Scatter over greens and then evenly distribute the grilled shrimp over the greens.
To make the dressing, mix the lemon juice, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl and whisk in three tablespoons EVOO. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and drizzle it back and forth over the arranged greens and scallions and shrimp. Slice the steak very thinly against the grain on an angle with a sharp knife and arrange it over the salad.