- 1 pound small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 celery stalk with green, leafy tops, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small to medium size yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- A handful of parsley leaves
1 tablespoon all-purpose seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay brand
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco brand
- 1 lemon, zested
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins, plain or sourdough flavor
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce or salsa or taco sauce
- Butter lettuce or Boston lettuce leaves
Divide the shrimp in half. Put half the shrimp into a food processor and grind them up. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl using a rubber spatula. Add the remaining whole shrimp to the bowl.
Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic and parsley to the food processor and pulse-grind it into a fine chop. Add the vegetable mixture to the shrimp. Add one tablespoon
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add EVOO, about two turns of the pan, in a slow stream. Use a large metal scoop to scoop four mounds of shrimp burger mixture into the pan. Gently pat down to form patties. Fry the patties for 3-5 minutes on each side, until they firm up and the shrimp turn whitish-pink.
Split and toast the sandwich-size English muffins. Mix the mayonnaise and chili sauce, salsa or taco sauce. Place the burgers on the muffin bottoms and top with lettuce. Slather the tops of the muffins with sauce and set in place.