- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
2 starchy potatoes, such as Idaho, skin left on and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy green tops, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine (eyeball it)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders, chopped
- 1 small bunch pencil asparagus, trimmed of woody ends and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas (a couple of handfuls)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, 4-5 sprigs, chopped
Heat a large, deep skillet or a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO and butter. Melt the butter into the EVOO, then add the potatoes, onion, celery and carrots, adding them to the pot as you chop them. Add the bay leaf and season the veggies with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning, then cook for 5-6 minutes to soften them a bit. Add the flour and cook another minute, then whisk in the wine and cook off a minute more. Add the stock and put a lid on the pan or pot and raise the heat to bring to a quick boil.
Slide in the chicken and cook for five minutes. Stir in the asparagus and cook for three minutes more. Turn off the heat and add the peas and tarragon. Stir to combine and adjust the salt and pepper, to your taste.
Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread for mopping.