- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 package beef or pork hot dogs, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beer (1/3 of a bottle) – whatever you have on hand (chicken broth may be substituted)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 rounded tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 rounded tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cups shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese (1 1/2 sacks of 10-ounce packages of pre-shredded cheese), divided
Boil a large pot of water for macaroni. Salt water and under cook macaroni, cooking about seven minutes until just under al dente in doneness.
Pre-heat broiler and set rack 12 inches from heat.
While pasta works, heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon EVOO, about one turn of the pan, then add hot dogs and brown on both sides, four minutes total. Remove the dogs with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
Add another tablespoon EVOO, about one turn of the pan, and the butter. When butter melts, cook onions 4-5 minutes, then add flour and cook another minute. Add beer and cook off completely, one minute. Whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, then season the sauce with salt and pepper and stir in the mustard and ketchup. Lower heat and add two cups of the cheese. Stir to melt, one minute. Adjust mustard, ketchup and salt and pepper, to your taste.
Drain pasta well. Combine pasta and hot dogs with sauce and coat evenly. Pour into a large casserole and top with remaining cheese. Melt and brown cheese under broiler about two minutes. Serve and enjoy!