- 1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds broccoli rabe (1 large bunch), trimmed and cut into large, bite-size pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, 1 minced, 3 chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can white beans or cannellini (15 ounces)
- Black pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 1/3 pound orecchiette, little ear shaped pasta, or ditalini, small, tube shaped pasta
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (a couple handfuls)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese (a generous handful), plus some to pass at table
- 2-3 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Bring a couple inches of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Add salt to boiling water. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 7-8 minutes. Drain rabe and reserve.
While rabe cooks, heat a medium soup pot over medium to medium-high heat with two tablespoons EVOO. Add three cloves chopped garlic, carrots and onions. Cook 5-6 minutes; add white beans and heat through, one minute. Season veggies and beans with salt and pepper. Add drained rabe and the stocks and cover pot to bring to a quick boil. Add orecchiette and stir. Reduce heat and simmer stoup to a low-rolling boil, uncovered.
Mix veal with egg, remaining clove minced garlic, breadcrumbs, cheese, sage and salt and pepper. Roll into 1-inch balls and drop into stoup. Cook five minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve stoup in shallow bowls with crusty bread.