A Nice Italian Girl’s Salad
Who said salad had to be just lettuce? This recipe goes really well with Chicken Catch-A-Tory Ravioli Stew!
- 1 sack chopped romaine lettuce (10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup black pitted olives
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, drained and sliced
- 12 grape tomatoes
- 24 slices pepperoni
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons green salad olives with red pimentos and juice
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 3 big spoonfuls grated parmesan, Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Wash your hands. Place lettuce into a big salad bowl.
Break up the olives a little with your fingers. Scatter the olives and the sliced red peppers around the salad.
Add in the grape tomatoes and pepperoni slices.
Make the dressing: Pour the red wine vinegar into a blender. Add the olives, basil, parsley, cheese, pepper and EVOO. Have a grown-up helper (GH) place the lid on the blender and blend the dressing until everything is all chopped up and mixed together.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss it up well.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.