Alentejo Pork with Chorizo and Mussels
This flavorful dish has a beautiful presentation. The tastes of mussels and pork go together perfectly.
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 1/2-2 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/3 pound pre-cooked chorizo, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 24 mussels, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Season the pork with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat until smoking. Working in batches, add the pork and cook until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes. Flip the meat, season with paprika and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Add the chorizo to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 minutes. Stir in the wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Return the pork to the pan.
Stir in the chicken broth and scatter the mussels around the skillet. Cover the pan and cook until the mussels open, 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid, sprinkle the cilantro on top and serve immediately with bread for mopping.