All-American Mac ‘n Cheese Burger
These burgers are perfect for the fourth of July or anytime you are feeling patriotic!
- 1 cup elbow pasta, cooked according to the package directions
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- A few dashes hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped plus 4 slices American or yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 cup sour cream
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 4 Kaiser rolls, toasted
In a large bowl, mix together the cooked pasta, ground chuck, ground sirloin, hot sauce, salt, pepper, mustard and the chopped cheese. Score the meat into four equal portions and form patties.
Pre-heat a large, nonstick skillet with some EVOO. Add the patties to the skillet and cook about 3-4 minutes per side. A minute before you take the burgers off, place one slice of cheese on top of each burger and let melt.
While the burgers are cooking, mix the ketchup, relish and sour cream in a small bowl.
To assemble the burgers, place a patty on each of the rolls, then top with some chopped onion, shredded lettuce and special sauce.