Almond-Herb Pesto Pasta with Artichoke and Tomato
This flavorful pasta dish is full of bright greens and reds and has a beautiful presentation.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound penne rigate pasta
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- One can artichoke hearts in water, or artichoke bottoms (14 ounces), chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, using a food processor, puree the parsley, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, vegetable stock, almonds, tarragon, mint and garlic; season with salt and pepper. With the machine on, drizzle in the EVOO.
In a serving bowl, combine the artichoke hearts and pesto. Add the reserved pasta cooking water, then stir in the pasta and season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, season the tomatoes with salt.
Serve the pasta with the tomatoes and ricotta for mixing in.