Apples with Calvados
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 Gala apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Apple brandy, such as Calvados, to taste (about 2 shots)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the apples and lemon juice and cook for 10 minutes. Season the apples with the salt.
Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook until the sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Add the brandy and carefully put a lighted long kitchen match to the sauce. When the flames subside, transfer the apples to serving plates and top with ice cream.