This makes a great side dish for any grilled meat entrée.
- 1 pound thin asparagus, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup mandarin orange sections or one navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
Break the asparagus spears with a gentle snap to free the tender tops from the tough part of the stalks. Steam in a quarter-inch of simmering water, covered, for 3-5 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the soy sauce, rice wine or white vinegar, fresh ginger, sugar and oil. Heat to a bubble. Add the asparagus and coat with the dressing. Sprinkle with orange zest and sesame seeds.
Serve the asparagus on a warm bed of lettuce. Garnish with orange pieces and sliced red onion.