Austin Crispy Steak Tacos with Salsa Verde
- 1 2-pound flank steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 medium onions, 1 peeled and quartered, 1 finely chopped, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 fresno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2 pound cured chrorizo, removed from casing and finely chopped
- 6 tomatillos, husks removed, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Soft flour tortillas, for serving
Place flank steak into a medium pot with the quartered onion and bay leaves. Cover with cold water and place over medium-high heat. Bring up to a bubble, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer meat until very tender, 20 minutes. Remove meat from pot and discard water and veggies.
Shred the steak with a fork and transfer to a medium-size mixing bowl. Add red onion, 2 cloves garlic and peppers to the bowl and combine. Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chorizo to the pan and cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Add the shredded meat and veggie mixture to the pan, spreading it out to cover the entire bottom, and cook until crispy on the bottom. Flip the mixture over and cook on the other side until crispy, about 5 minutes per side.
While the meat is cooking, place a medium pot over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the remaining chopped onion, garlic, tomatillos, and cumin to the pan, and cook until the veggies are tender and the tomatillos have begun to release their liquids, about 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, add in the honey, avocado and cilantro and pulse to puree.
To serve, spoon some of the meat and veggie mixture in soft flour tortillas and top with the salsa verde.
Serve Confetti Rice and Refried Pinto Beans alongside.