Baby Kale and Lentil Bow Ties
Greens and lentils combine for a hearty and healthy bowtie pasta dinner.
- 1 cup brown lentils, preferably imported from Italy, such as Castelluccio di Norcia
- 2 onion, 1 halved, 1 finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4-6 anchovy fillets, preferably L’Escala
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 rib celery with leafy top, finely chopped
- 1 pound farfalle (bowtie pasta)
- 3-4 cups baby kale (a few fat handfuls)
- About 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In a medium size saucepan, cover the lentils with 3 inches of water. Add the halved onion and bay leaf; bring to a boil over high heat. Salt the water and cook the lentils until just tender, 20-22 minutes. Drain; discard the onion and bay leaf.
While the lentils are cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the EVOO, four turns of the pan. Add the anchovies and stir until completely melted into the EVOO. Add the chopped herbs, garlic and crushed red pepper; stir for 2 minutes. Add the chopped onion and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
While the anchovy sauce is cooking, salt the water and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Add the pasta cooking water to the anchovy sauce, then toss with the drained pasta, adding the lentils, kale and lemon juice; season. Divide among bowls.