Bacon and Bay Tomato Sauce on Brown Spaghetti
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 pound meaty bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 8 to 10 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 36 cocktail tomatoes, quartered or 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound whole wheat, farro or whole grain spaghetti
- Grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Heat a Dutch oven or a deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add oil, 3 turns of the pan, and bacon, and brown. Add onions, sage, garlic and bay, and season with salt and pepper. Add stock and tomatoes, bring to boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook sauce covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove bay leaves.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente, reserving 1/2 cup water before draining. Toss drained pasta with half the sauce, the reserved cooking liquid and cheese; adjust salt and pepper.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with more sauce and cheese.