Bacon and Egg Macaroni Salad
Serve with Garlicky Patty Melts with Provolone for a super gameday dinner.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1 pound good-quality bacon
- About 1/4 cup grated onion and its juice
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- About 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 jar chopped pimentos, drained (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
Place the eggs in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot, turn off the heat and let the eggs stand for 10 minutes. Submerge the eggs in cold water to shock them. Crack the eggs and soak in the cold water. When cool, peel and chop.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil to cook the macaroni. Arrange all but six slices of bacon on a slotted baking sheet and place into the hot oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. When it’s cool enough to handle, chop and reserve.
Chop the remaining bacon and add it to the boiling water, along with the macaroni. Cook the pasta to al dente. Drain, rinse and discard the boiled bits of bacon from the pasta.
While the pasta cooks, add the grated onion, garlic, Dijon and vinegar to a mixing bowl. Whisk in the EVOO and season with lots of salt, pepper and hot sauce. Add the pasta, chopped eggs, pimentos, parsley and chopped crisp bacon pieces. Toss to combine and serve.