Banh Mi Dog
Spice things up with these Vietnamese-inspired hot dogs!
For the Sriracha mayo (or use store-bought):
- 2 medium organic egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or pasted
- About 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- A splash of rice wine vinegar (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- Up to 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce
For the pickled daikon and carrots:
- 1 cup hot water
- About 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- About 3 cups daikon, cut into matchsticks
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
For the pickled onions:
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- Rachael Ray 24/7 Seasoning or salt and pepper plus 1 tablespoon dried pickling spice or 1 crumbled bay leaf mixed with mustard and coriander seeds
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
For the hot dogs and toppings:
- 8 good-quality large/fat and hot pork hot dogs
- 2 baguettes cut into 6 inch lengths, hollowed out and lightly toasted
- Low-sodium soy sauce or liquid amino, for brushing
- Thinly sliced seedless cucumber, for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Thinly sliced red and green chili peppers, such as jalapeño peppers and Fresno peppers
For the Sriracha mayo, whisk up the yolks, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and vinegar; stream the oil in a thin stream and emulsify the mayo. Whisk in the hot sauce, to taste. (This makes 1 1/4 cups and keeps up to a month in the fridge).
Prepare the pickled daikon and carrots at least 1 hour ahead (they can be stored for up to 1 month): Ccombine the hot water, sugar, sea salt and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Pour over the daikon and carrots. Reserve.
For the pickled onions, combine the vinegar, seasonings and lime juice in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Once at a boil, pour over the onion in a bowl. Reserve.
Parboil the hot dogs, then crisp the skins on a hot griddle. Brush the lightly toasted bread with soy sauce, then dress with the Sriracha mayo. Add a dog and top with cucumber, pickled daikon and carrot, pickled onion, cilantro and hot peppers.
Note: For slider-size dogs, use 2-3 ounce pork hot dogs and ficelle rather than baguettes.