Barbecued Beef and Baked Bean Chili
This chili is full of the flavors of the Southwest!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 pound coarsely ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can pinto beans (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bottle of beer, such as Budweiser
- 1 cup chili sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 2 1/4 cup biscuit mix, such as Bisquick brand
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 2 cups yellow cheddar cheese, grated, divided
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
Pre-heat a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat with vegetable oil and brown the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, leaving the fat in the pot.
Add the sirloin to bacon drippings in the pan, using the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher to break it up while it browns. Season with the chili powder, cumin and ground black pepper.
Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes. Add the beans, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and beer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chili sauce and season with salt, to taste.
While the chili is simmering away, mix up the biscuit mix with the milk, scallions and half of the cheese. Drop six spoonfuls of biscuit batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and cook for 3 more minutes.
A few minutes before serving, add the reserved bacon back to the pot and stir to combine. Serve the chili ladled into bowls with a cheesy biscuit on top.