Prepare this power-packed new chili recipe ahead of time and enjoy the Super Bowl with friends and family.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds ground sirloin, pork, turkey or chicken
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup beer
- 2 cups beef stock or chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons cider or wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 box cornbread, prepared according to package directions
- 2-3 thin scallions, finely chopped
- Butter, for greasing muffin tin
- Optional toppings for chili: Shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese, finely chopped red onions, chopped dill pickles
Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes to render the fat, then remove to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
Add the meat to the bacon drippings and brown until dark. Season with Worcestershire sauce, then add the onions and garlic and season with black pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes more to soften the veggies. Add the chili powder and paprika, then add the reserved bacon back to the pot and stir in the beer. Reduce for a minute, then add the stock. Combine the vinegar, brown sugar and tomato sauce, then stir the mixture into the chili. Bring to a bubble, reduce the heat and let simmer.
Prepare the corn muffin mix, according to the package directions, adding scallions into the mix. Grease a muffin tin, fill it with batter and bake according to the package directions.
Serve the warm muffins topped with chili, cheese, onions and pickles.