BBQ Chicken Burgers with Slaw
A lighter burger meal with a great topping! Try making the slaw ahead of time and refrigerate overnight for extra flavor. For a picnic or larger meal, serve with Mac and Jack Salad.
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1 small red onion, 1/2 finely chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, (eyeball it)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 1 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 tablespoons honey (eyeball it)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 rounded tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 cups shredded cabbage mix
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cornmeal Kaiser rolls, split
In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped onions, garlic and tomato paste and sweat them for five minutes to soften and sweeten. Sprinkle in sugar and remove from heat. Cool in a bowl, about five minutes. Add tomato paste mixture, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to bowl and combine. Add chicken to the bowl followed by the grill seasoning and combine the burgers well to evenly distribute the flavors and form four patties.
Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
Heat one tablespoon EVOO, about one turn of the pan, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 6 minutes on each side.
Combine the honey, lemon juice, and remaining EVOO in a bowl. Add relish, cabbage mix and sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Toss the slaw to coat and reserve.
Serve burgers on bun bottoms topped with slaw and bun tops.