Beans and Greens
You can serve this dish with a loaf of crusty bread as a main course.
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil (EVOO), two times around the pan
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups fresh spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped, or 1 16-ounce leaf cut package of frozen spinach OR one head of escarole, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- Salt and pepper
In a large skillet, heat EVOO over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic till tender. Add beans, spinach or escarole and stir until the green is wilted slightly-if using frozen spinach, this step will take a few minutes longer. Add chicken stock or broth and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, or heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.