Beet and Walnut Salad
Serve with Chicken and Mushroom Goulash with Gnocchi.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 can sliced beets (14 ounces), drained and chopped
- 4 radishes, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black cherry, seedless raspberry or apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
Toast the nuts in a small pan over medium heat, 3-4 minutes, then let them cool.
Combine chopped lettuce, beets, radishes, onion, celery and toasted walnuts in a shallow bowl. Place the preserves into a small bowl and whisk vinegar into it. Add poppy seeds to dressing if you are using them. Whisk EVOO into the dressing and season it with salt and pepper.
Dress salad and toss to coat evenly then adjust salt and pepper to your taste.