Benjamin Button Pizza
Serve this pizza while watching its namesake movie!
- 2 pints multi-colored tomatoes, sliced (use green, red, orange and yellow ones of all sizes, whatever you can find in the store)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- A pinch of fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1-pound ball fresh pizza dough or 1 large pre-baked pizza crust
- 3 packed cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- A few grates fresh nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
- 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
Pre-heat the oven to 250ºF.
Arrange the tomato slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with the EVOO, oregano, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until the tomatoes begin to caramelize, 1 hour, then turn the oven up to 325ºF for another 30 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from oven and allow to cool slightly.
If using fresh pizza dough, turn the oven up to 450ºF. Roll the dough out to about 12 inches in diameter on a lightly floured surface. Transfer the dough to a cookie sheet and bake in the oven until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Let cool.
While the crust is cooling, add the arugula, walnuts, nutmeg and a splash of water to the bowl of a food processor. Add some salt and pepper and pulse to roughly chop. With the machine running, stream about 1/3 cup EVOO (eyeball it) into the processor to make a pesto. Transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (eyeball it).
Spread the pesto on the baked pizza crust and top with the shredded provolone and remaining Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Arrange the slow-roasted tomato slices on the pizza and return it to the oven to melt the cheese, about 10 minutes. Let the pizza sit for a couple of minutes before slicing and serving.