Big Mussels with Garlic and Vermouth
Serve this with a crusty baguette for soaking up the delicious broth!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves cracked garlic
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels – ask at counter to check that they have been scrubbed
- 1/2 cup white dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, about two turns of the pan, garlic and thinly sliced red onion, then mussels. Arrange mussels in a single layer. Add vermouth to the pan and cover. Cook until mussels open. Discard any unopened shells.
Transfer mussels to a bowl. Pour juice over mussels and sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper. Serve with a second bowl, for shells.