Bistecca alla Puttanesca
In this recipe, Rachael combines the elements of Puttanesca pasta with a flatiron steak for the flavors of Tuscany.
- 4 flatiron steaks or small sirloin steaks (8 ounces each)
- 2 large cloves garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup pitted, oil-cured black olives or kalamata olives, chopped
- 5 caper berries, drained and sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Rub the steaks with the garlic and a drizzle of EVOO. Grill the steaks, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, mix the butter and anchovy paste. Dollop on top of the steaks.
In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, caper berries, onion, parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Top the steaks with the tomato salad.