Black Cherry and Black Pepper Lamb Chops with Sweet Pea Risotto
Serve with Grilled Baby Vegetables.
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided, plus some for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup peas, defrosted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, (a couple of handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- Handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 loin lamb chops, each 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup black cherry all fruit preserves (such as Polaner brand)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, eyeball it in your palm
Place the stock in a small pot and warm it up over medium-low heat.
Place an oven rack 8 inches from broiler and pre-heat broiler to high.
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, with a tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium to medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes the add Arborio and cook a minute more. Add wine and cook it all away, 1 minute. Add a few ladles of warm broth and let that cook off, stirring occasionally. The risotto will take 22 minutes to cook. Add a ladle of broth from time to time until risotto is starchy, creamy and cooked to al dente. Add peas about 2 minutes before serving. Add in cheese, chopped mint and parsley just before serving.
When the risotto is half-cooked, 10 minutes from being done, drizzle the chops with EVOO and arrange on a slotted broiler plan. Place chops in oven under hot broiler and cook 8-10 minutes for medium rare. Place a tiny pan on the stove over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO and shallots to the pan. Cook shallots 2 minutes then add the preserves and whisk them together with balsamic vinegar and black pepper. Heat to a bubble then remove from heat and add remaining pat of butter. Whisk butter into sauce.
Season the risotto with salt to taste. Place a generous serving of risotto into shallow dinner plates. Arrange 2 chops on each plate alongside the risotto and drizzle the black cherry pepper glaze over the chops and garnish plates with extra sprigs of mint.