Bloody Mary Vegetable Stew
Bloody Mary ingredients spike up the taste of tomato soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 baby Yukon Gold potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 6 ribs organic celery stalks and leafy tops, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Fresno or Holland chili pepper, thinly sliced
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 can crushed or diced fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (32 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A handful of flat leaf parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1 crusty baguette, hot sauce and extra EVOO to pass at table
In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, celery, onion, garlic and chili pepper as you chop them and season liberally with salt and coarse black pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce until fragrant, about 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the vodka.
Stir in the tomatoes and chicken (or vegetable) stock and simmer to thicken, 10-12 minutes. Finish the stew with the horseradish and lemon juice; garnish with the parsley (or cilantro). Pass the bread at the table and the hot sauce and EVOO for drizzling.