BLT is a winning combo in this simple pasta dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound lean smoky bacon
- 3-4 medium leeks, halved lengthwise, sliced 1-inch thick, then washed and dried
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound penne rigate or whole grain penne
- Grated Pecorino cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the penne.
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and crisp; add the leeks, garlic, thyme and pepper. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the tomatoes and cover the pan. Cook the tomatoes until they burst, 10-12 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
Salt the boiling water and cook the penne to al dente. Add a little of the starchy cooking water to the sauce just before draining the pasta. Toss the pasta with the sauce and cheese.