BLT Toast Points with Welsh Rarebit
These are perfect on their own or as part of a selection of brunch bites.
- 12 slices peppered bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry or prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 cup lager (for a sweet flavor) or stout (for a slightly bitter, earthy flavor)
- 1 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices white bread, toasted, then cut on the diagonal
- 1 small bunch watercress, trimmed and chopped
- 6 slices beefsteak tomato, cut into half moons
- Chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 375°. Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then chop into 1-inch pieces. Wipe the pan.
Pre-heat the broiler.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with the flour, then whisk for 1-2 minutes, being careful not to brown the flour. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, mustard and hot sauce. Add the beer; whisk until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese. Whisk until smooth.
Arrange the toast on the broiler pan; top with the watercress and tomato slices. Spoon some cheese sauce on top and broil until the sauce bubbles and browns. Sprinkle with parsley and top with the bacon.