Braised Brussels Sprouts
These sprouts make a great Thanksgiving side dish. You can also substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and combine them with Creamy Polenta with Butternut Squash and Marsala Mushroom Ragout for a great vegetarian meal!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pints Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 tablespoon sage, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small head radicchio, chopped
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat with the EVOO and butter. Add the onions and cook until caramelized, 5-6 minutes.
Add the sliced Brussels sprouts, allspice, sage, some salt and freshly ground pepper and toss to combine. Add the stock, bring up to a bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 15 minutes.
In the last three minutes of cooking, stir in the radicchio.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.