Breakfast for Dinner: Crazy Bacon and Chocolate Waffles and Mulled Maple Syrup
Warm up on a winter’s day or night with this sweet and scrumptious meal. A refreshing fruit salad is satisfying side.
- 8 slices smoky bacon
- 2 cups multi-grain pancake and waffle mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk, plus additional for thinning batter as needed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus some to brush waffle iron
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Melted butter, for brushing
- 1 orange peel curl
- 2 cloves
- 1 1/2 cups dark amber maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Fruit, for fruit salad
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake until crisp. Cool and chop.
Place the pancake mix in a batter bowl and combine with the eggs, milk, butter and a few grates of nutmeg. When the mix is combined, stir in the chopped bacon and chocolate chips.
Heat a waffle iron and brush with the melted butter. If the batter gets too thick to ladle, add a little more milk.
While the waffle iron heats up, stud the orange curl with the cloves. Place the syrup in a small pot with the clove-studded orange peel and cinnamon stick. Keep warm over low heat.
Make some fruit salad to serve with the waffles while they crisp up in the waffle iron.
Serve the waffles with the mulled syrup and fruit salad alongside.