Create hearty pancake stacks by criss-crossing with bacon, eggs and seasoned sautéed apples for this BLD meal.
- 12 slices good-quality smoky bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more for griddle and eggs
- 2 crisp apples, such as Gala or Golden Delicious, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Calvados (optional)
- 1 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 2 cups multigrain or buckwheat pancake mix, such as Highland Sugarworks Multigrain
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 3/4 cups 2% milk
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Bake the bacon on a broiler pan until crisp, about 15 minutes.
Pre-heat a griddle over medium heat.
In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the apples, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little salt. Cook until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and brown sugar, flip the apples and cook for 1 minute. Add the Calvados, if using, and cook to reduce for 1 minute. Add the maple syrup and lower the heat to a simmer.
Combine the pancake mix, 1 egg and the milk. Butter the griddle and cook the pancakes in batches to make eight 4-inch cakes.
In a large skillet, fry the remaining 4 eggs in some melted butter to order.
Stack each plate with a pancake, 3 crisscrossed slices of bacon, a fried egg, a second pancake and the apples.