Brett’s Lamb Meatballs
Go Mediterranean with these flavorful meatballs – dip them in yogurt for an appetizer or side that’s delish!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 large egg
- Grated peel of 1 lemon, plus wedges for serving
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dusting
- Greek-style yogurt, for serving
In a medium size skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the lamb, bread, egg, lemon peel, chopped mint, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg and cooked onion mixture; season with salt and pepper. Shape into 20 meatballs and dust with flour. Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup EVOO over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the meatballs until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Serve the meatballs with the mint leaves, lemon wedges and yogurt.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.