Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Mac ‘n Cheese
Garlic, chives, Dijon mustard, sour cream and extra sharp cheddar cheese are just the right ingredients to highlight the flavors of broccoli and cauliflower for this make-ahead mac ‘n cheese.
- 1 small head or bundle broccoli, trimmed into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower or half a large head, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 pound whole wheat macaroni or penne or other short-cut pasta
- 2 cups sour cream or reduced fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or crushed into paste
- A few drops of hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and add the broccoli and cauliflower florets. Boil the vegetables for 5 minutes, then remove them with a spider or a strainer and drain. Add the pasta to the water and undercook by about 2 minutes, then drain.
Meanwhile, combine the sour cream in a large bowl along with the mustard, chives, garlic, hot sauce and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the pasta and cauliflower and two-thirds of the cheese. Stir to combine, then transfer to a casserole or baking dish and cover with the remaining cheese. Cool and chill for a make-ahead meal.
To heat and eat, place the casserole on baking sheet and bake it in the middle of a pre-heated 375°F oven until deeply golden and bubbly, about 40-45 minutes.